portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, February 22, 2024

FIGHT THIS SICKNESS FIND A CURE | P.I.L :: OXFORD APOLLO THEATRE 1986

fight this sickness find a cure (geddit!?) . . . .

p.i.l. - live at oxford apollo theatre 1986

this is fun . . . . not brilliant quality but what ya gonna do . . . . . . it’s local so it's for Diamond Dave!



peter says . . . . . 


Public Image Ltd 
21.05.1986
England, Oxford - Apollo


Setlist :
Kashmir (Led Zeppelin intro mewsic) geddit?*
F.F.F.
Annalisa
Fishing
Poptones
Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols cover)
Banging the Door
Flowers of Romance
Bags
Round
Home
Public Image
Rise
Low Life
World Destruction (Time Zone cover)
Ease


This is listed as a track but is the warm up pre-mewsic and is a running joke of Johnny’s geddit?


home

PiL - HOME
On this date in 1986, PiL released their fifth studio album, ALBUM, (January 27th, 1986).
On 1986’s ALBUM (also known as Compact Disc or Cassette depending on the format), producer Bill Laswell had assembled a band enough to slacken even the most hardened cynic's jaw – aside from Laswell himself on bass and John Lydon, the outfit featured Yellow Magic Orchestra's Ryuichi Sakamoto on keyboards, Tony Williams, the legendary Ginger Baker on drums and find-of-the-month Steve Vai on crunchola guitar.
ALBUM was arguably the strongest selection of poptunes PiL had turned out since Metal Box, one of the great LPs of the '80s.
The video here is the post-punk snarl of HOME, the underrated second and final single from ‘Album’.


 

2 comments:

diamonddave said...

Oh Andy, thanks for the mention. But no thanks for PIL. Just couldn't get into them. If I was gonna listen to it, I'd stop after Kashmir! That's what makes the world go around - luckily we're all different. Now I could really bore you with all the bands I did see at The New Theatre......All the best neighbour DD

Andy Swapp said...

Oh I get it for sure . . .I bought Metal Box and saw them a couple of time but really was a Sex Pistols fan! All a tad TOO art student posturing were PIL!! (given I was an art student I don’t use the term loosely!?!!)

He came (Johny that is) to Blackwell’s Book Shop were I used to work and I missed him but all my old colleagues and friends said he was lovely and really bright intelligent and super friendly and they all went drinking with him after! Sorry I missed that one!