portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, June 02, 2024

“The Gray Twist” - Don Van Vliet (we can still have some Captain so here’s a painting and an anecdote from the legendary Art Tripp III) | Lynn’s Live Lounge

 


Don Van Vliet 


"The Gray Twist", 1988


Oil on canvas.


163 x 134 cm



Don van Vliet at Thee Experience sometime in late November or Early December of 1969.


note the spelling!






11/28/69, Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band begin performing at Thee Experience in Hollywood, California. The venue had a large painting of Jimi Hendrix on it with the front door as his mouth! It was also the first performance with Art Tripp III (Ed Marimba) on the drums, who would become one of the core members of the Magic Band until 1974. I've got no audio of it, sadly, but these sepia-tone pictures tell a tale with Don in his one-of-a-kind Trout Mask Replica era garb.


"In short, I was fed up with Frank. I had met Don at Frank’s log cabin in Laurel Canyon. He invited me over to hear the band, but I shined it on. Later I met him and the Magic Band guys when they and the Mothers played a benefit together at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood. (Don Ellis and Canned Heat were among the other acts). I went out front to hear their music, and it knocked me out. After the show he again invited me out to Ensenada Drive. Soon after, Frank disbanded the Mothers at the end of ’69 to form a “power quartet” consisting of him, me, Ian Underwood, and a singer/bass player named –I think– Jeff Simmons. I couldn’t stand the guy, and since Frank wasn’t making the rehearsals, I started backing away. We did play one gig together. Probably the only time –outside of the earlier benefit– a Zappa band ever played with a Beefheart band. It was at a club called “Thee Experience” (yeah, I know) on the east Sunset Strip owned by Marshall Brevitz, who’d had a similar club in Miami. I played drums for both bands at that show." - 

Art Tripp III, 'Ed Marimba

from the legendary and always fascinating Beefheart expert  Lynn's Live Lounge




Don and Jan Van Vliet at home in Northern California, taken circa 1988. Thanks to Ray Dratwa for the larger version of this photo.

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band



No comments: