portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, October 02, 2024

Linda Ronstadt on early music and listening to the radio



My sister was in love with Hank Williams when I was six and she was twelve. She had it so bad she would just moon over him continually, and we shared a room and I loved him too. I got him by osmosis. I was a radio freak when I was three. We lived so far away from town there was nothing to do except listen to the radio. It was 115 degrees outside and we didn't have much air conditioning. We had a cement floor in the living room and it was sort of cool and I remember I would spend all day with nothing on, lying on the floor with my head pressed up against the radio. I loved rock-and-roll, when that came along, just loved it.
 



I use every root form I can get my hands on or every one I can understand. Some root music is less accessible to me than others. Jazz is not very accessible to me, although there is some that I love and will listen to. Classical music obviously is not accessible to me to use much because it is technically out of bounds, but I listen to an enormous amount of classical music. The simpler root forms are available, like country and blues and gospel and Mexican music, expecially. And the ones I tend to draw on most heavily are the ones I heard and learned and sang from the earliest time, country music and Mexican music and rock-and-roll.” 

~ Linda Ronstadt - 1976


“Lying on the floor with nothing on, listening to the radio"!?  

Now I’m going to have to go and cool down!




Phew is it hot in here! 
 

No comments: