portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, September 20, 2018


I found myself profoundly affected by Lily Allen on Radio 4's Woman's Hour this morning . . . . it was of course to celebrate and push her Mercury nomination with her new album 'No Shame' and clearly she continues to go 'through the mill' but she is so honest it is truly remarkable. I have always liked her work largely thanks to my children and my daughter especially who lauded her early work to me and I have said before her sense of humour and wit and ascorbic caustic criticism of others mostly is celebrated here but turning the searchlight upon herself. She doesn't pull her punches but it felt like a kind of cathartic journey of desperation and loneliness post her break from her husband Sam . . . . . 


Lily Alan on Radio 4


BBC radio four says . . . :



Lily Allen has been making headlines since she blazed into the music industry when she was a teenager. She’s a talented singer songwriter with three Ivor Novello Awards to her name and has been nominated forthis year’s Mercury Prize. But it hasn’t been easy; she’s battled addiction, lost a child and has been stalked. After the highs and lows of fame she’s now writing her own headlines with her controversial new memoir My Thoughts Exactly. Jenni talks to her about her life and career.




No comments: