portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, September 19, 2018




Remembering rock music icon Jimi Hendrix (born Johnny Allen Hendrix in Seattle, WA. Changed to James Marshall Hendrix at age two.) 

November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970

Jimi at The Royal Albert Hall





I bought the first album when it came out but still nothing quite prepared me for my friends Leon and Leo asking me round to their house on the release of 'Electric Ladyland' and playing me 'Voodoo Chile' with Steve Winwood on Hammond organ, Airplane's Jack Casady on bass and Larry Corryell (although Larry declined to take part in awe of Hendrix's warm up) and some 20 friends (hence Noel's absence as he had been getting increasingly frustrated with Jimi inviting hangers on back to sessions) on a live studio take although it is an almagamation of at least three separate recordings as Jimi broke a string at one point and the crowd 'live club' noises are an overdub. John Perry and subsequent bootlegs show there were at least six takes. This extraordinary 'jam' session was played on my friend's father's state of the art Hi-Fi stereo system at full blast one sunny afternoon in Oxfordshire. . . . . . we were never quite the same again. I always think of Jimi when I hear this but I also think of Leo who played it to us and he was pretty much able to play any Hendrix recorded piece within a fairly short time such was his gift on the guitar. We miss them both

No comments: