portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Bob Dylan Drummer Winston Watson Talks MTV Unplugged, Woodstock '94, and More - FLAGGIN DOWN THE DOUBLE Es

 Great email from Flaggin Down this evening that looks in some depth at Winston Watson the Bob Dylan drummer's account of working with Bob from  taking the stage withjout having ever met him to playing tribute to Frank Sinatra! 

Here . . . . . . .

Bob Dylan's live Restless Farewell for Frank Sinatra's 80th Birthday Party (1995)



We rehearsed a couple other songs. “This Was My Love,” I think. I loved playing Sinatra songs. But I think Frank liked [“Restless Farewell”] a lot. I could hear him saying "When's that Dylan kid going on?" When you watch it, you can see the genuine affection that both of them have for each other. Frank is looking at him and Bob was looking at Frank like he looked at Little Richard.

- Winston Watson



Bob Dylan rehearses stunning I Want You (best version circulating) 

 

"There's the show they released, and then there's a whole other show that had no hits, nothing anybody would really recognize. There's this footage of us in our street clothes doing rehearsals and stuff, and he liked that better than the actual shows. We played all these stuff that wasn't included in the final version.

There's a really cool version of “I Want You” that's been circulating on YouTube now. I'm surprised they haven't got it off there. We're in our street clothes. Again, it's a rehearsal."

- Winston Watson


 

No comments: