portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, September 02, 2022

John Cale - Leaving It Up To You | another song of the day . . . . .

  • Track Name

    Leaving It Up to You

  • Artist

    John Cale

John Cale - Leaving It Up to You (1975)

Originally included on Helen of Troy, but dropped because of it’s controversial lyrics, this is Cale at his more passionate and abrasive.

a favourite song . . . . . we have had this before but this is the original album version slightly slower and never made it to the first disc . . . . . . . deemed to controversial 

This album came out without Cale's consent, who considered that the tapes were not finished. After shipping the first presings Island Records replaced the track Leaving It Up to You with Coral Moon, because it mentioned Sharon Tate, wife of film director Roman Polanksi, who was killed in 1969 by the Charles Manson gang. Things turned sour, and Cale and Island did go their separate ways. The cd version contains both tracks.

Helen of Troy

John says "It could have been a great album. I came back from finishing Patti Smith and had three days to finish "Helen Of Troy" before I went on Italian tour. I was spending eighteen hours a day in the studio. When I got back, I found the record company had gone ahead and released what amounted to demo tapes. The trouble was that Island had their own ideas of what that album should sound like. They wanted to include songs I don't particularily like, but it was also an impertinent assumption on my part that I was capable managing myself. My determination to have "Helen Of The Troy" the way I did was not really fair to Island or my management, especially at a time when Island was loosing it's percentage of the market, which was making everybody very paranoid."


John Cale: Helen of Troy | Discography here

No comments: