portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, May 05, 2023

From around the Internet :: John Lee and Carlos Santana

The maestro - John Lee Hooker with Carlos Santana


“John Lee Hooker was hilariously funny to be around,” recalls Carlos Santana. “He always had two gorgeous ladies to the left, two gorgeous ladies to the right. On one side, they’re feeding him Junior Mints, and the other side, they’re feeding him fish and chips. So he’s eating fish and chips and mints, man, with these four gorgeous women just massaging his hot soft hands. I never knew anybody like that guy.”

Everybody respected John,” recalls  Charlie Musselwhite,

“His style, especially the solo style, was so unlike anybody else. Nobody had that sound on guitar, or played that particular way. And man, when I would listen to the radio late at night, John Lee coming across the radio waves playing Hobo Blues, it just sounded so cool – even sinister. Just a man by himself, playing guitar. And, you know, he was serious.” 

“One story I could tell, I don’t know if I should or not, but it’s a good one,”“Madonna wanted him to be in a video with her. And John’s manager put him on the phone with Madonna, and he talked to her, and he’s giving her the old, ‘I just love all your music,’ and  ‘Oh yeah, I’d love to be in the video with you.’ And when he got off the phone, he told his manager, ‘I ain’t doing it.’ Not only was he not doing it, but he didn’t know who Madonna was, and didn’t care.”


- MOJO Magazine 


Photo by Jay Blakesberg

 

No comments: