portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, June 07, 2023

R.I.P. Astrud Gilberto, March 29, 1940 - June 5, 2023

 


ASTRUD GILBERTO has left us, age 83

Click on it anyway!

R.I.P. Astrud Gilberto, March 29, 1940 - June 5, 2023. Here she is performing "The Girl from Ipanema" in 1964 with Stan Getz on tenor sax, Gary Burton on vibraphone, Gene Cherico on bass, and Joe Hunt on drums.

Footnote whilst a very young Gary Burton here, he was an early hero and probably the last Jazz albums I bought were by him (maybe Keith Jarrett come to think of it . . . . . )


Damn she was pretty too!

I mean like WOW!




2 comments:

Jobe said...

Sad news indeed. Also Tony McPhee passed too.

Andy Swapp said...

Noooo! Hadn’t heard about Tony, saw them live (twice I think!?) and the Groundhogs were my kinda band!
Sad sad sad . . . .