portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, November 28, 2020

 CLAES OLDENBURG

An occasional series on artists I have appreciated or even loved the work of. As a young art student fascinated with Pop Art I was enthralled by Claes Oldenburg's work and sadly feel he has largely become over looked now if not totally forgotten. A master draughtsman as well as sculptor the serious art world finds it difficult to cope with humour in its art and Oldenburg is no exception. I first came across my first monumental sculpture by him in the real in the Sculpture Park in the Rijksmuseum Kröller-Müller, Otterlo  The Netherlands. They are stupendous in the real, as it were, and their execution is incomparable. 


Claes Oldenburg with a Monumental Tube of Toothpaste
Photography by Hans Hammarskiöld
London, 1966




Although it wasn't blue when I first saw it . . . . see link below













Oldenburg 'Trowel 1' turns blue








No comments: