portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, November 08, 2021

BONNIE RAITT's 72nd BIRTHDAY

 HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONNIE LASS



Happy 72nd birthday to Bonnie Raitt! 

"I’d love be the queen of curating great music of all styles, or many styles. I’m very proud of my ability to pull songs from different corners, and place them together in a different way. When people say: ‘Why don’t you do a whole blues album? Or a whole jazz album?’ I’d love to do a blues album, or jazz album. But I’d be too bored on the road just promoting that.

I knew Aretha played piano, and thought it was great, because I loved the way she accompanied herself. And Ray Charles was as important to me as anybody. I learned off records, as many of us kids did. I took piano lessons, but not guitar lessons. So I was trying to emulate how Fred McDowell, Son House and Robert Johnson played. There wasn’t any YouTube then, so I had to do it by ear."


Interview by By George Varga


Angel From Montgomery - ( John Prine )

With Sheryl Crow - Everything is Broken

with John Prine 'Angel' again


With Richard Thompson with 'Dimming Of The Day'

2 comments:

Scottish Folkie said...

you should never mention a lady's age!!......

...... Happy Birthday Bonnie!!

Andy Swapp said...

Hah! Lots of quips occur to me "She ain't no . . . . . . " and 'You just as old as the . . . . . ' etc etc but you're right Folkie!

Just listen to her singing with John Prine and time means nothin' . . . . . . .