portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, November 18, 2021

KURT COBAIN - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Hole Courtney Love 'Celebrity Skin'

 CLASSICS REVISITED!

"SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT"!


The first time I really registered becoming too old for then current music trends was the American grunge scene and especially the band Nirvana although now I enjoy the work of Foo Fighters and drummer/singer Dave Grohl and I like him very much . . . . Cobain had shot himself in the head by the time I was sitting up here in the UK and asking what was going on. Hole with his 'wife' Courtney Love I got later and found her sound I understood much more easily and maybe it was the USA/UK thing that I found Nirvana didn't travel as much 

Still I enjoyed reading about Kurt and these accounts struck!

Cobain was very shy, very polite, and obviously enjoyed the fact that I wasn’t awestruck at meeting him. There was something about him, fragile and engagingly lost.”

  • William S. Burroughs, according to Nirvana: The Day-By-Day Chronicle by Carrie Borzillo.

He had a touch most guitarists would kill for.”

  • Chuck Berry, according to Kurt Cobain by Christopher Sandford, Orion Press, 1995.

“That kid has heart.”

  • Bob Dylan, after hearing the Nirvana song “Polly”, according to Heavier Than Heaven by Charles R. Cross, Hyperion, 2001.

“I was simply blown away when I found out that Kurt Cobain liked my work, and I always wanted to talk to him about his reasons for covering “Man Who Sold The World.” It was a good straightforward rendition and sounded somehow very honest. It would have been nice to have worked with him, but just talking would have been real cool.”

  • David Bowie, quoted in “A Fan’s Notes,” SPIN (1995-04).


No comments: