portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Paddy Summerfield from his publisher Dewi Lewis

PADDY SUMMERFIELD

Paddy Summerfield (The Mitre, Oxford) by Andy Swapp

18th February 1947 - 11th April 2024

"When I heard the sad news of the death of Paddy Summerfield I was over at EBS in Verona – the same printers where we produced Paddy’s first book, Mother and Father. There was a copy in the office there and I took the opportunity to look through it again – such a gentle yet powerful book – a book of which I am immensely proud. It reminded me how excited I was by the work it when I first saw it and what an easy decision it was to go ahead with publishing it. I knew that Paddy would be pleased but the enthusiasm, excitement and joy that he showed when I told him the news was truly wonderful. 

And so began a relationship that spanned six books and more than a decade. And there was even another book, Pictures From The Garden, which was published last year. This was photographed in Paddy’s back garden and is a remarkable collaboration between six photographers – Alex Schneideman, Vanessa Winship, Sian Davey, Matthew Finn, Alys Tomlinson, Nik Roche and Jem Southam – who all wanted to express their respect for Paddy and his work.

The very last book I did with Paddy was at the end of last year, ’The Beginnings of Eternity’; a departure into a world of colour using an old ‘flip phone’ to photograph his beloved garden and the people who loved and cared for him. Very much a travelogue, it expresses a journey that is both metaphorical and spiritual, a journey that he knew only too well he would soon be taking. 

An extraordinary photographer and an extraordinary man, Paddy lived photography every minute of his day. Yet, despite his remarkable vision, his work would almost certainly have remained in the shadows but for the indefatigable energy and commitment of his partner, Patricia Baker-Cassidy, who brought order out of chaos. Without her considerable input and skills Paddy’s books would almost certainly still be an ambition and not a reality. We owe them both so much. 

RIP Paddy."

 Dewi Lewis 






©️A.M.Swapp

©️A.M.Swapp

©️A.M.Swapp

©️A.M.Swapp


Paddy from 30+ years ago in Blenheim Palace Grounds in Woodstock where he took a family portrait of me, my wife and children
 . . . . . happier times, he will be sorely missed. He was challenging and difficult at times ( aren’t we all but!?) his affection for me and my family knew no bounds. his kindness and attunement to my children from the youngest age onward was a deep treasure. His extraordinary work exploring the inner life and expressionism, as his old friend and colleague in Fine Art Photography John Goto would have it, will live on forever



Flowers at Paddy Summerfield’s North Oxford home ©️Andy Swapp


explore Mother / Father and other work here (above)

No comments: