portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, May 16, 2024

John Mayall at 90

One of the earliest and most profound influences on my budding musical tastes was this man. . . as a school boy drawn to the blues masters from the States (I have said elsewhere starting with Josh White, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly et al about 12/13 years old or so)  I also used the earliest albums from John Mayall to boost my knowledge and there was (is?) no-one to touch him still. A special place is reserved in my heart for John! 
Keep on keeping on, maestro!


John Mayall also known as the godfather of British blues. 

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers has been influential as an incubator for British rock and blues musicians. 


He has a career that spans nearly seven decades. At ninety years old, Mayall is one of the oldest active musicians.


 Key To Love (Mayall) . . . bought when it came out . . .somehow on a single! [I think]


so pretty sure this was the B-side and wasn’t aware of [nor had heard of] the guitarist, (Clapton) it was Mayall and that’s all I cared about!
Parchman Farm (Allison)

and of course since . . . . . . . 
Mists of Time

Somewhere in the world
Are friends I've missed from long ago
Could be drifting by the wayside
Or even dead - I just don´t know
And now my memories are fading
...Like melting footprints in the snow

Sometimes a dream will haunt me
And I see a young girl's face
Was she once for real
And did she really share my space
Within the swirling mists of time
It's hard to keep a track of year and place

I thought about my mother
When she was young and on the road
Hanging out with my musicians
Or camping out in forest groves
Like gray mists conceal horizons
I miss those times we'll share no more

So far my life's a journey
And I wouldn't change for anything
All those years of bold adventures
The highs and lows that make me sing
Within the swirling mists of time
Such sweet memories still often ring.

2002-08-26 

John Mayall 


2 comments:

Alan said...

I totally agree with you. It is absurd to me how long it has taken for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to recognize the contributions of John Mayall. He's been playing the blues for about 60 years now and we all know the litany of great guitarists who emerged from the Bluesbreakers in the 1960's. I believe he is finally being honored this year. He is a true blues legend. His Mom made it to 100+ so we can only hope that he's still got a long life ahead of him.

Andy Swapp said...

Spot on Alan. Thanks for dropping by with your comments