portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, May 23, 2022

The MAESTRO :: Ry Cooder: 1970 - 1987 (11 CD Box) 2013 - Urbanaspirines

 THE MAESTRO

RY COODER

Ry Cooder – 1970 - 1987
Label: Warner Bros. Records – 8122796241, Warner Music Group – 8122796241
Format:    11 x CD, Album, Reissue, Box Set, Compilation
Country: Europe
Released: 2013
Genre: Jazz, Rock, Blues, Folk, World, & Country
Style: Blues Rock, Electric Blues, Folk Rock, Rock & Roll i'e ALL!

1970 - 1987

Ry Cooder is simply Number One in my book! Don't know anyone to touch the maestro and Urbanaspirines has done his usual comprehensive profile on the master ( at least up to 1987) by looking at this box set but frankly if you don't already own all these I don't know where ya bin and perhaps music isn't for you!? (sic)

I bought Boomers Story when it came out in the UK and had seen this extraordinary figure playing mandolin on British TV but the version of Marie Elena and Crow Black Chicken and finally perhaps still a favourite of mine the increasingly haunting solo on Dark End of The Street ( a song which I still collect versions of to this day) After that I just bought everything I could, new one's as and when and back catalogue when I could afford to. I enjoyed Jazz too which became a tendencious one for many including Ry and assume the inherent modern 'racism'  of songs like 'Shine' and even 'Nobody' dissuaded some put others off and may have been the reason Ry came to disregard it himself. I loved the Jospeh Spence and assumed the songs like Shine were deeply ironic, as I took later religious primitive numbers like 'Denomination Blues' which I found tear jerkingly funny! Only someone who could start off in a band as a teenager with Taj Mahal could pull off such songs surely? The covering of Big Bad Bill (another favourite I research version of) and the sweetness of Pearls and The Dream make this an indispensable album in my collection. I would like to know what someone like Taj thought of it tho' . . . . . . . . . 

RY COODER - 1970 - 1987 BOX SET 11 CDs - Urbanaspirines

At well over £200 maybe you could buy them one at a time like I did but hey . . . . . . 

Why is Ry my number one guitarist? This . . . . . .
and no I will never not post this . . . . . . 

No comments: