portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Captain Beefheart Live in Manchester 1974 : FULL MOON HOT SUN

 CAPTAIN BEEFHEART

and THE TRAGIC BAND

so called

Now I have said (here prolly ) that I have bought and owned as much of Beefheart's output as I could ever find (official and unofficial) and this leads up to and includes the Magic Band on their own and Mallard too, band members separately as well, so am something of a completist, as to the Don Van Vliet creative output (including his paintings) 

It therefore comes as no surprise to find I am something of an apologist for the so called ‘tragic’ band formed hurriedly less than a year after I saw the Cap’n and the band in what I consider their finest incarnation the UK tour of ‘73

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the hardcore fans who HATE this incarnation and I DO get it . . . . I just don’t agree. Quite. 

I was such a fan at the time I thought the 'love over gold' time of his romantically trying be more ‘successful', to make more money (sic?) and get hits post the Magic Band leaving him after the depths of his bullying and abuse which all the then band members faced (sic John French and Bill Harkleroad separate published accounts serve as public record) I thought Bluejeans and Moonbeams a delight, Unconditionally hilariously fun, I found Same Old Blues (JJ Cale cover) and that ilk a sheer delight and still do too. The signs were always there that Don would sing about the opposite sex whether in a horny sexual way (Sun Zoom Spark, Big Eyed Beans, Crazy Lil Thing, Long Necked Bottles to My Head is My Only House Unless It Rains, Peaches,  etc)

Here in mitigation I present the band in 1974 in Manchester and with Del Simmons on sax and the band rocking their very best to keep up, I maintain they did their very best to match and back the Captain. You may disagree and you are welcome to but I ask nay plead that you pause a moment and suspend your judgement as we revisit Full Moon Hot Sun!

The poster on YouTube slydogmania says :


Brilliant live footage of Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band in full cry, performing Full Moon in 1974 at Manchester. There are no half-measures here, an outstanding rhythm section laying down solid groove behind Beefheart wailing on harmonica and one out-of-this-world saxophonist. An enigmatic, mysterious and troubled artist, the whole band walked out on Beefheart at some point, but in terms of sheer artistry, this performance provides ample evidence of a legacy characterised by unique greatness.

Frankly I agree! 


in addition I add :

Barely a year after we saw them at Oxford Poly 2/05/1973 when it was the classic line up of John, Mark, Bill, Ed (and possibly Orejon on bass who I do not name as he is now a convicted pedophile serving life ) 

Featuring Del Simmons on sax with a towering solo (IMHO) here . . . .


    • Robert 'Fuzzy' Fuscaldo – guitar
    • Dean Smith – guitar
    • Del Simmons – saxophone; flute
    • Mike Smotherman – keyboards; vocals
    • Paul Uhrig – bass
    • Ty Grimes – drums

2 comments:

SEALY said...

I remember seeing the "Clear Spot" band gig and like that album they were simply awesome. The 'Tragic' line up and first Virgin album were pretty enjoyable too but in a different (lower) league.
Just thought I'd leave you this message Mr. Swappers so you know I was paying attention all those years ago.

Andy Swapp said...

Top man! The gig at Oxford Poly as it was then 1973 stands as the best gig BAR NONE that I ever went to! Thanks for dropping by to comment as always Sealyman