portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Songs have anniversaries too! “YOU NEVER EVEN CALLED ME BY NAME” [Goodman & Prine]



50 years ago today, David Allan Coe recorded “You Never Even Call Me By My Name” in Nashville’s Columbia studio A. 


Though it was written by both Steve Goodman and Prine, John passed up the publishing rights. “I wouldn’t put my name on it ’cause I thought it sucked, then it went to number one! That’s how I found out what a number one song is” (though, it never went #1 but rather #8 on the country charts.) Despite not receiving credit, Goodman instead bought Prine a Wurlitzer jukebox, which basically made them even.


The Maestro! John Prine : You Never Even Called me By My Name


Larger Than Life a Celebration of Steve Goodman

The genius co-writer (who got all the royalty!)

Steve Goodman - You Never Even Called Me By My Name Live on Austin City Limits


For John and Steve
Sorely Missed!

No comments: