portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Gena Rowlands dies at 94

image

The world is held together by the wind
That blows through Gena Rowlands’ hair

Described by some this morning as an actor of "lacerating intensity" a phrase I enjoyed, and we will not see her like again

Le Ramasseur De Mégots


with her husband actor auteur film director John Cassavetes



"I was a woman with a plan. I knew the only thing, that could have really stopped me, in my opinion, was to fall in love.

I went in, at lunch, to put my books in the locker and I got to the doorway and … I saw John Cassavetes, and I thought : Oh, oh damn! No, no, no. No!

That’s just exactly what I don’t want.”

- Gena Rowlands [on her first meeting with John Cassavetes]




No comments: