portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Classic pop revisited | Roger Miller - King of The Road (1964)

 One of the earliest songs I recall on the radio that hooked me was this by the American legend that was Roger Miller who was way better than just this one hit over here in the UK and it fascinated me. I would have been eleven! 

 What WAS an 'old stogie' and where could I get one?! I wondered for the longest time what a ‘broombaza’ was! (sic!) 8 by 12 four bit room? no idea and the cheap hotel hobo life suddenly sprung into all its romantic clarity . . . .when I started hitch hiking the length and breadth of this fair country this was the song playing in my head!



I’m a man of means . . . . . . . . by no means (sheer poetry!)

No comments: