portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, October 13, 2023

JOHN MAYALL PROFILE | URBANASPIRINES

John Mayall - Turning Point/Empty Room 1969/1970

Now Kostas over at Urbanaspirines has been as per usual in overdrive of late and posting one of the most extraordinarily eclectic group of artists and bands from around the planet it is possible to imagine, Australian, (Crime And The City Solution, The New Christs, British India - say what now?) USA, [The Alley Cats, Bohemian Vendetta, The Complete Flamin’ Groovies, A five disc survey of Stax records - no less, Phluph (?), Cincinatti’s Wussy!?], and a MASSIVE profile of Richard Hell and The Voidoids, Greece (of course) [with Mother Turtle,] and for British music, a Mojo magazine best of the Dark Heart of the Sixties! 

So today comes as no surprise and we have a profile of Blues Legend and elder statesman and guru of the genre, John Mayall with two early albums and a nice potted history 








Now John Mayall was incredibly important to me and I hung around with a lot of people who played his stuff, both on record and for real, mostly guitarists and the early albums meant the world to me from about the ‘Beano' Album onwards but even Laurel Canyon was on the decks back then and I always made it a point to check out what he was doing and who he was playing with and which newcomers he came up with on guitar. From Duster to Pete Green, Eric of course but Mick Taylor too. His staple diet of Blues standards taught me a great deal and I still have a feel for those early albums

Enjoy I think you will!

3 comments:

Kostas said...

Hi Andy, thank you my friend.

Andy Swapp said...

Oh always welcome my friend!
Only sorry I couldn’t keep up with your posting the more exotic and rarified choices of late!! Some amazing stuff . . . . but when I know and like stuff I will always give you a heads up
Thanks as ever for dropping by and commenting

Keep up the great work!

Kostas said...

Thank you again.