portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Mississippi John Hurt – Make Me A Pallet - Live! : April 15, 1965, at Oberlin College in Ohio :: ZEROSOUNDS

 A constant favourite here is the legendary Mississippi John Hurt. My brother Steve brought home an early selection with many of his greatest songs on Coffee Blues, Make Me a Pallet, I’m Satisfied etc etc . . . I was barely a teenager when first I heard this humble mellow voice and the beautiful finger style that is unmistakably Mississippi John . . . . .as Doc Watson (another of my brother’s great heroes) sang Have you  Heard John Hurt!

So here is the maestro live from Zero Sounds . . . . . . 





Zero says:

John Smith Hurt, commonly known as Mississippi John Hurt was born in the early 1890's and is one of those legendary blues singers of the same generation at Son House, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Lemon Jefferson and Charlie Patton. He started playing guitar at age 9 and worked on and off as a sharecropper, recording for Okeh and Vanguard Records but the resurgence of his career came when he was invited to play at the 1963 Newport Folk Festival.

Mississippi John Hurt did a live 21-song set on April 15, 1965, at Oberlin College in Ohio, a scant two years after his rediscovery in 1963, and a year before his death in 1966. Hurt was remarkably consistent as a performer, whether you listen to his famous 1920s Okeh tracks, his rediscovery studio work for Vanguard Records, or the handful of live shows like this one: the skill and delivery is always steady, professional, and charming. Among the highlights in this set is his intricate and atmospheric slide guitar work on "Talking Casey," one of the few times Hurt abandoned his trademark three-finger guitar picking style. This concert has been issued in various configurations and sequences by several labels under different titles and with different cover art over the years.*


Tracklist:


Nobody's Business But Mine 
The Angels Laid Him Away 
Baby What's Wrong With You 
Casey Jones 
Candy Man 
Lonesome Blues 
My Creole Belle 
Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor 
Trouble I Had All My Days 
C-H-I-C-K-E-N Blues 
Coffee Blues 
Shake That Thing 
Monday Morning Blues 
Frankie And Albert 
Salty Dog 
Spike Drivers Blues 
Here I Am, Lord, Send Me 
Talking Casey 
Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight 
I'm Satisfied 
Richland Women Blues

* so many releases for this set I assume it is in the public domain. If you know otherwise and want me to do something about it please do me the courtesy and drop me line first

No comments: