portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, August 04, 2024

Tedeschi Trucks Band last month at Red Rocks Park

 


Tedeschi Trucks Band 7/26/2024 - show open - Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre

at risk of alienating a whole tribe of guitar based freaks and fans of Derek Trucks I found this from the always fascinating Facebook page of Tommy Bolin Archives but I thought this really poor. Is it the recording? Not sure I havent really been taken by Trucks guitar style and am not totally sure why I dont seem to share the opinions of the American fan base (Bolin describes this as “incredible” which I struggle with. To me he sounds out of tune and the arrangement and quotes with the piece seem clumsy and cluttered). I thought it was awful!  . . . curiously I seem to have no such similar problem with Susan Tedeschi and always enjoy hearing her play. Derek has an upstroke finger style  style that irritates me and the SG is under used here (and always!) his slide work is sort of okay but nothing special to these ears. Dickey Betts he aint, SRV he ain’t and he isn’t in the same league as Clapton, and American guitarists like Duane Allman (who again folks know I am not such a big fan of) and isn’t fit to stand alongside Sonny Landreth, Billy Gibbons, or say Steve Vai or  Joe Satriani let alone the Carlos Alomar’s or Adrian Belew . . . . its just an opinion people nothing to get hung about 

Enjoy anyway you fans . . .

No comments: