portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, January 26, 2024

MELANIE - IN CONCERT BBC TV 1971 (R.I.P)

 




Sky Vibes at YouTube says :
When I was a young man living in England there was a series of "In Concert" TV programmes broadcast with singer / songwriters of the day including Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell and of course Melanie Safka. This particular short "concert" was recorded in London on 14/7/1971 and broadcast 8/1/1972. 
I remember being mesmerised by Melanie's performance, and its power has not diminished over the intervening years, although sadly the "peace and love" message, so prominent in Melanie's lyrics, never really got much further than 1971, we all hoped it would after the short lived "halcyon" years of hope from 1967 - 1970.  
Post Altamont and Charlie Manson the wind of changes shifted and here we are . . . . Skyvibes goes on to say

I've remastered this as best I can from the original tape I had - I hope you enjoy it. Peace! 00.00 1. Close To It All 04.05 2. Tuning My Guitar 08.27 3. The Nickel Song 12.12 4. Beautiful People 16.40 5. Look What They Done To My Song Ma 20.26 6. Peace Will Come (According To Plan)



 

2 comments:

Dell said...

An excellent series reflecting key artists of the day, Thanks for sharing the excellent Melanie.

Andy Swapp said...

Always welcome Dell. You are right too we could always rely on ‘In Concert’ to cover bands of the day and always recorded well (obvs) and foreshortened sometimes but sort of indispensable really. I miss it!

Thanks for dropping by