portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, January 09, 2024

SCOTT WALKER - 1943 - 2019

 The brilliant publisher Route mention that it is Scott Walker’s birthday today . . a great voice gone forever


One of the great, voices if not songwriters (but pushed his boundaries so he left me behind somewhat) that voice however haunts me still and though his perverse choice to pursue darker muses meant he was destined to inhabit the rarified air of left field when he could have been a truly much more popular star, his followers from Bowie to Jarvis Cocker meant he was always in the pantheon I just wish he had been more popularist somehow. Takes a lot for me to say that but I did appreciate him just not his later style. In retrospect too gauche, too knowing, too self consciously studied to be truly popular. (Just my opinion) 🎼🩶
Still ‘no regrets’ . . . . .

Scott Walker was born as Noel Scott Engel in Hamilton, Ohio on this day in 1943.


No comments: