portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, January 07, 2024

Song for a Sunday : From 'Once Upon a Dream' by the Rascals : SATTVA (1968) | GUESS I’M DUMB

imageThe Rascals - Sattva (1968)

If Once Upon a Dream was supposed to be the Rascals’ Sgt Pepper’s, then Sattva is Within Without You. Although George’s song never broke into a wonderful soul section in the middle of his tune. Kind of reminds me of Traffic’s fist LP. Very cool stuff, and the Rascals were actually playing the sitar, tamboura and tabla.

All the colours melting softly at my feet


Far from “dumb" they have found another extraordinary gem from The Rascals no less. I had always thought them somewhat straight until John Northcote (yes that John Northcote! he KNEW his music second to none!) turned me onto the more adult experimental work but must have missed this one!

Staggering stuff and as ‘Guess' points out they were actually playing the instruments here!


 

No comments: