portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

British Blues legend John Mayall has died at the age of 90. | Don’s Tunes

British Blues legend John Mayall has died at the age of 90.

John Mayall has passed away surrounded by family and his two wives and assistant 



One of my earliest musical heroes in the Godfather of British Blues has died, John Mayall still touring into his 90th year has died and we will not see his like again. Catalyst for so much great music from Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Eric Clapton, the list of British musicians who passed through his tutelage and support through The Bluesbreakers is endless. I think I mentioned the other day one of the first singles I ever bought was his Key To Love with Parchman Farm as the B-side! Loved that sound and all those early albums . . .didn’t really notice the other guitarist(s) (sic) for quite some while, I was just enamoured of all John did, the guitars he played and the sound he pioneered. He will be missed forever . . . . 



"In a 2014 interview with The Guardian, John reflected, “blues is about – and it’s always been about – that raw honesty with which it expresses our experiences in life, something which all comes together in this music, in the words as well. Something that is connected to us, common to our experiences.” That raw honesty, connection, community and playing of his will continue to affect the music and culture we experience today, and for generations to come.


I wouldn’t change anything." he told Classic Rock in 2016. "I mean, if you look at all the stuff I’ve done over the years – I’ve explored every kind of variation on the blues – it’s all added up to a wonderful career. I haven’t had hit records, but I’ve always had the artistic freedom to create music the way I want."

Musicians attested to what it meant to play with Mayall. “As far as being a blues-guitar sideman, the Bluesbreakers gig is the pinnacle. That’s Mount Everest,” said Walter Trout. “You could play with B.B. King or Buddy Guy, but you’re just gonna play chords all night. This guy features you. You get to play solos. He yells your name after every song, brings you to the front of the stage, and lets you sing. He creates a place for you in the world.”

“The reason I choose musicians is what they bring to the table, and I enjoy their work, and I want to give them an opportunity to express themselves because that’s what I hired them for,” Mayall said in a 2016 interview with Blues Blast. “So I enjoy their playing and fortunately, being a bandleader, I get to choose who I want to play with. So, I indulge my own musical enjoyment. … Improvisation is the main thing. You have your structure of the musical piece, and then you embellish it in whatever direction that evening’s performance entails. So, it’s always been the bedrock of everything I’ve done. The whole idea is to create music as you’re playing. The improvisational thing is the main part of it. You’re exploring the music.”

Photo by Michael Putland

The album Bluesbreakers was released on July 22, 1966, and proved to be the breakthrough that John Mayall was seeking, landing at No.6 on the UK album charts in its first week. Musically, it captured a short, magical moment in time – one that could never be repeated. Before Bluesbreakers even hit record stores, Clapton had already quit the band to form Cream with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce. Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Peter Green (who formed Fleetwood Mac a year later) stepped in as his worthy replacement.
The album is often called The Beano Album by fans because of its cover photograph showing Eric Clapton reading The Beano, a British children's comic. Clapton stated in his autobiography that he was reading The Beano on the cover because he felt like being "uncooperative" during the photo shoot.
Photo: David Wedgbury






Parchman Farm (Mose Allison)

2 comments:

Kostas said...

I feel so sad. I saw him in concert, in Italy in the early eighties, at the day of his birthday. He offered to us many bottles of beer. His guitar player throw a birthday cake on the face of John.

Andy Swapp said...

Wow! Great story! We are gonna miss him for sure