portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, July 29, 2024

Dylan of the Day | As I Went Out One Morning - Bob Dylan (John Wesley Harding)






 phantomengineer

Just then Tom Paine, himself
Came running from across the field
Shouting at this lovely girl
And commanding her to yield
And as she was letting go her grip
Up Tom Paine did run,
“I’m sorry, sir,” he said to me
“I’m sorry for what she’s done”





 phantomengineer

I dreamed I saw St. Augustine
Alive with fiery breath
And I dreamed I was amongst the ones
That put him out to death
Oh, I awoke in anger
So alone and terrified
I put my fingers against the glass
And bowed my head and cried






I guess like many folks John Wesley Harding blew me away as soon as I heard it. My brother brought it round and said (much like he had when introducing me to Bob for the very first time via The Times They Are AChangin album) but this was different! The cover was well, downright WEIRD! Was that Dylan? Who was he with? Who WERE those guys! Check the back cover. Was it the band he had picked up? Who WERE they? 

There were stories about hidden images (this was the time of back masking nonsense and Beatle reference mania still) What did it all mean? The voice alone was well, different! Mellow, rounded full fruity and gentle. Full throated somehow and crooner like. Love songs like Down Along The Cover’, 'I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight’ what 'n the heck frecken was going on! Re-emerging after his ‘motorbike accident’? Had it affected his voice so it was plummy and round and warmer somehow. Was it really him?! Who was John Wesley Harding? Who was Tom Paine? Heck who was St Augustine? 

Never mind that but the band was sparse too, who was Kenny Buttrey, Pete Drake?,  hadn’t we heard of Charles McCoy? But that was it . . . was there a hidden image if you turned it upside down of the Beatles in the trees?

WE LOVED IT!

STILL DO! 







 

No comments: