portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Flagging Down The Double E’s Newsletter | Now it Goes Like This contd., Bob Dylan : SHELTER FROM THE STORM

Now It Goes Like This: "Shelter From the Storm"

Tracking its different arrangements from 1976 through now

If you missed the first Now It Goes Like This installment, it’s a new series where I track Bob Dylan’s live rearrangements of songs. I eased in slowly on the first one, with a more recent song that has only had a few dramatic arrangement changes: Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum.” For the second entry today, though, we dive into the deep end, with a song several commenters suggested I tackle: “Shelter From the Storm.”

From its very first onstage outing, “Shelter” sounded nothing like the Blood on the Tracks recording. And it has only continued to shift and morph over the subsequent decades. Settle in and listen along to the clips as I break down the song’s many live incarnations.

Shelter from the Storm "live ’76"



Shelter from the Storm (Live at Budokan, Tokyo, Japan - 1978)
BUDOKAN always reminds me of my brother Steve and long gone over thirty years now I still miss him pretty much every day but he introduced me to Bob ( The Times They Are A’Changing) to this coming out when maybe I was distracted listening to other stuff and he dropped round and said you gotta listen to THIS! He wasn’t wrong!

Bob Dylan, Shelter From The Storm, 1984, tour rehearsals


My addition . . . . 
Shelter From the Storm (Live 1976, Unreleased) 

1 comment:

Dell said...

Interesting selection of variations indeed - Thanks for sharing.
I have seen a similar selection of variations of 'Tangled up in blue' over the years.
Perhaps there is a collection of the variations of the whole 'Blood on tracks' out there somewhere.