portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, July 22, 2024

'Captain Beefheart’s wedding by Mike Bugbee | THE RADAR STATION

 

Jan and Don shortly after they were married 1970 (hope Jan is okay whether she is? Trinidad near the Oregon border still?)


'The dark clouds drifted apart, briefly revealing a few stars. Beefheart looked up and gestured at the sky with a raised arm which he moved in an arc, “I want to paint a stripe across the sky,” he said aggressively. “I want to make the stars bark.”


I’ve always remembered these lines, but not just for the imagery (Jan and I often expressed ourselves in a similarly colourful manner). It was the almost feral and unrepentantly ambitious tone behind Beefheart’s words that made such an impression. I just wanted to pass my upcoming history test, finish my term paper, get laid. He wanted to redecorate the cosmos.'


- from 'Captain Beefheart’s wedding by Mike Bugbee'. Link to the full article below. This photo of Jan and Don Van Vliet was taken by John Williams in the spring of 1970, a few months after their wedding."


http://www.beefheart.com/capatin-beefhearts-wedding/ 

Jan and Don at The Trout House

No comments: