portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, July 06, 2024

Jimmie Vaughan on Stevie Ray and family | Guitar Player Magazine - Mark McStea



 

Jimmie Vaughan: "We ended up making "Family Style". Then Stevie got killed before it came out, which really screwed everything up. I didn’t know what in the world to do, and everybody was just flipped out. I still can’t believe what happened, and I’m talking about my feelings and the way it still feels. It took me a long time to really get back. He was my little brother.


When we were kids, I was supposed to get him to school and back. Protect him. So it felt like I’d failed, even though there was nothing I could do about it. It took me a while to process everything. Stevie never got to have a family or anything like that. I’ve been blessed. I have a wonderful family, I get to play guitar, I have a great band. I have all the wonderful things in life."


Had Stevie not died, do you think you would have followed a very different path and perhaps worked more closely with each other on a regular basis?


"I think we would have done a tour and probably another album. But it’s all speculation. I might have done more with the T-Birds as well. It wasn’t like I was trying to quit the group to be with Stevie or he was leaving his band. This was just something different for us. We were just trying stuff."


Credit: Guitar Player Magazine, Mark McStea


Roots That Rock



Guitar Player

No comments: