portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, July 09, 2024

This month’s birthdays contd., BRIDGET FONDA

 


Bridget Fonda on her "Jackie Brown" (1997) character, the pot-head beach bunny, Melanie: “My character is pretty raunchy. She’s Sam Jackson’s kept woman and her ambition is to lay around and smoke dope and watch cartoons all day. But she has to scheme to accomplish that. It was a very pleasant experience getting into her head." 

“The toughest part was learning to walk around in platform shoes, a bikini top, and short shorts. I’ve done nude parts, and this was harder. I wouldn’t say I’m modest, but I’m a really shy person and I have a tendency to want to hide. I don’t like feeling exposed. The part of Melanie was exciting and sort of frightening at the same time. I have stage fright, which is part of the same group of neuroses, I’m sure. But I had to reach down and find that extroverted side of me to do Melanie.” 

“Between action and cut I’m in this stimulated state. It’s the equivalent of a state of arousal. Not strictly sexual, but that animal state of arousal. I won’t take a role that’s boring. I never want to get complacent when I act, so I’m never quite sure if I can do it. The adrenaline jacks everything up.” (Moviemaker)


N.B. much has been written about photographs of Fonda recently and I will not dwell on her weight change. Enough has been said and judged about her decision to stop acting and what that has done for her appearance and I for one still think she looks fine and she will always be an interesting woman and I would have enjoyed whatever she went on to do. If she so chooses to no longer act then it is up to her, I am saddened as it is our loss but I stand by her . . . . . 





Happy Birthday, Bridget Fonda!

No comments: