portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, December 24, 2023

Christmas message from Thea Gilmore

This is the first time since starting the Patreon site that new song day has fallen on December 25th! As I'm guessing lots of you will be busy on the actual day, I'm sending this a couple of days early. 

This month, I'm going to send you TWO new songs. Starting with this one which I'm sending this to all Patron tiers to say thanks for being here!

This is one of my favourite Christmas tunes ever. Written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane for Judy Garland to sing in Meet Me In St Louis, then made even more popular by Frank Sinatra.

I love this song because it started life kind of sad. In fact it was initially rejected by Garland because it was too depressing and some of the lyrics were changed to jolly it up a little.

Then it was changed again by Sinatra because he didn't like the 'muddle through' lyric.. which was where the 'star upon the highest bough' line appeared.

I'm obviously singing the more morose of the two versions. Because that's just who I am!

But what a song.. full of longing and ache for those who can't be with us.

So, for those who celebrate it, Merry Christmas. I hope your festive season is full of love, warmth and people.

For those who don't.. hang tight. I'll be sending the second song of December out on New Years Eve.. one of mine this time and one to mark the end of 2023.

Happy Christmas, Seasons Greetings.. I am sending you love and gratitude. Always.

Thea xx

No comments: