portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, December 22, 2023

Irma Thomas San Francisco 1995 - Albums That Should Exist

IRMA THOMAS - SF - ALBUMS THAT SHOULD EXIST - here


Paul he says:

Irma Thomas has had a long career singing soul music, and she's still going as I write this in late 2023. However, she's not considered a big name like, say Aretha Franklin or Etta James, so there are very few good bootleg concerts by her. But I recently came across this one. I was impressed with both the sound quality and the performance, so I'm posting it.

She put out a live album in 1991, called "Live! Simply the Best." I wasn't going to post this for fear that it was too similar to that album. But I checked the set lists, and most of the songs are different, with only her classic hits like "Time Is on My Side," "It's Raining," and "Wish Someone Would Care" being the same. So if you have that, I think you'll still want this.

The lead vocals were rather low in the mix, so I used the UVR5 audio editing program to boost them relative to the instruments for all the songs.

This album is an hour and five minutes long.

01 Intro - Don't Mess with My Man
02 Cry On
03 I Did My Part
04 Ruler of My Heart
05 Hittin' On Nothin'
06 It's Raining
07 I Done Got Over It
08 Iko Iko - Hey Pocky Way - I Done Got Over It [Reprise] 
09 Time Is on My Side 
10 talk 
11 Breakaway 
12 Wish Someone Would Care
13 Baby, I Love You
14 I Just Had to Hear Your Voice
15 Get Here
16 talk
17 We're Gonna Make It 
18 Simply the Best


We love Irma don’t we? I think we do. She’s a Hip Shaking Mama!

Discovering her through the New Orleans roots of Dr John way back I followed her work ever since the ‘Gumbo' was hot (geddit?)

Oh you wanted to hear her sing?! Here this from 1990 . . . . . . listen to hear make this MOR classic all hers  as she sings to her husband!

No comments: