portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Classic stars of the Day | IRMA THOMAS

 Not sure why these have popped up on my scanning horizon but she has been a favourite since discovering her early on after Dr John’s album Gumbo made me really look at Nawleans R n B! From Professor Longhair to Archibald, historian producers like Allen Toussaint, Huey ‘Piano’ Smith, the bands like The Meters, the Neville Brothers et al then I discovered the beauty of the women singers of the region. She is in my opinion, the Queen of New Orleans and her attempt at cross over from RnB to more commercial Soul Music meant she was overlooked at times and never achieved the fame she deserved and her It’s Raining is a stone classic, she was the first to sing Time is On My Side before the Stones cover and 'I’ve Been Loving You Too Long' before Otis covered it. (about whom more later) The rivalry between Stax and Nawleans meant that the R n B stars of Louisiana were often over looked by the much more commercial savvy producers behind the music of Stax for example . . . . . . I’ll shut up now and folks will disagree I am sure but just dig in here and enjoy! I know you will



No comments: