portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, December 22, 2023

More on Paul McCartney : Paul, Cyn and Julian | The Split of John and Cynthia Lennon | Abbey Road Tribute

Paul with his ‘67 Martin D-28 guitar and his ‘66 Aston Martin sports car (with Martha in the back seat!) that he drove to see Cynthia and Julian that day. 
We appreciate Boris’ efforts in locating the perfect image  to accompany this post.


Found on Facebook again

Abbey Road Tribute 

"About a month after John and Cynthia separated in May ‘68, Paul drove his ‘66 Aston Martin (shown below) out to the Lennon home in Weybridge to visit five-year-old Julian and Cynthia. 


"I was touched by his obvious concern for our welfare,” said Cynthia. 


“I will never forget Paul's gesture of care and concern in coming to see us."


Paul said Cynthia had been part of the Beatles social circle and he found it "a bit much for them suddenly to be personae non gratae and out of my life". 


On the drive down, Paul composed “Hey Jules” to comfort Julian and encourage him to pursue his opportunities to find love. He took Julian on a drive through the country that day and sang the new song to him.  


“I knew it was not going to be easy for him",  said Paul. He changed the name to "Jude" "because I thought that sounded a bit better".


“Paul and I used to hang about quite a bit – more than Dad and I did,” said Julian.


“We had a great friendship going and there seems to be far more pictures of me and Paul playing together at that age than there are pictures of me and my dad."


Julian learned that the song had been written about him 20 years later. In 1996, he paid £25,000 for the recording notes to "Hey Jude" at an auction.




 

No comments: