portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

EXIT STAGE LEFT:: Nick Duerden - ‘That’s it? It’s over? I was 30. What a brutal business’: pop stars on life after the spotlight moves on - THE GUARDIAN

  . . . . . . second GUARDIAN article sent me by my son . . . . . . worth a read as the Guardian always is and their Sunday OBSERVER too!

Robbie Williams

Geldof

Lisa Mafia


Musicians from Bob Geldof to Robbie Williams and Lisa Maffia reveal what they did – and how they felt – after the hits dried up and the crowds vanished

“The pain I feel from the Slits ending is worse than splitting up with a boyfriend,” Albertine wrote, “This feels like the death of a huge part of myself, two whole thirds gone … I’ve got nowhere to go, nothing to do; I’m cast back into the world like a sycamore seed spinning into the wind.”

Viv Albertine

I look at people like Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney, and think: If I were you, I’d just go home and enjoy my garden,’ says Natalie Merchant of 10,000 Maniacs                               Photograph: Getty Images

Exit Stage Left :: Nick Duerden - THE GUARDIAN article here

 

 Nick Duerden’s Exit Stage Left: The Curious Afterlife of Pop Stars is published by Headline (£20) on 28 April. To support the Guardian and the Observer order a copy at guardianbookshop.com.





 Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys, Viv Albertine 

No comments: