portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, April 18, 2022

Howlin’ Wolf "Memphis Days" The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1 - THE TWILIGHT ZONE

Howlin' Wolf:Memphis Days - THE TWILIGHT ZONE


Now I have already said I had a precocious interest in the blues as barely a teenager and collected albums from the cheap budget bins, singles and EPs too by the likes of Josh White, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker and others (Chris Farlowe's Stormy Monday we have discussed) and the voice that sent a shiver down me was the legendary Howlin' Wolf. It frightened me somewhat, Smokestack Lightning haunted me and whilst I bought some singles and EPs (ask your grandparents!) I was kinda drawn ineffably but scared too! That voice! It probably lead me to Captain Beefheart later on for obvious reasons . . . . . . 

Well here is a breakthrough album and it is clean and clear and contains many a hidden gem and its only Volume One!

Enjoy! I did!


If this is still commercially available please let me know if you wish me to take it down or just go out and buy it! I cannot find it and Amazon have volume II at nearly £60 so I assume it is out of print - Andy


4 comments:

Jobe said...

BREAKING NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like we've been nuked. I have yet to speak with The Boss about this. Keep reading "The Blog Nobody Reads" for updates

Rob said...

Thanks for update Jobe, hope to see you back soon....

Andy Swapp said...

Looking like disaster has very much struck and the guys will let me know I am sure but thanks for dropping by Jobe (and commenting too Rob) Have asked The Boss what the heck has happened but will post here as soon as I hear anymore . . . . . .

Scottish Folkie said...

Everybody get the blues sometime......