portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, April 30, 2022

Spirit - Harpo's, Detroit, MI. 1984 :: VOODOO WAGON

 Today's sublime offering from the Voodoo Wagon is Spirit from 1984. Now I think I have gone banging on about Spirit before and the link below will tell us but they were an early favourite and another title from Rock Machine Turns You On (1968) compilation that I stuck with but the weirdest story is when working at the Museum of Modern Art here in Oxford finding Randy California and Ed Cassidy billed as Spirit in the basement of my local pub, the Penny Farthing! Marginally as weird as finding Nico playing the night club in the Westgate Shopping Centre round the back from there more familiar with crowds of girls dancing round their handbags than to finding Nico playing her harmonium at 11.00 at night! 

This is The End indeed! 

Look beneath your lid some morning, 

See the things you didn't quite consume . . . . . . 

This however is superb and if you play one thing today make it this version of Fresh Garbage! Previously my favourite was the spooky far out 60s vibe of the original but this is the band on FIRE! The reincarnation as The Spirit of 1984 The Thirteenth Dream released an improved synth version that will blow you away . . . a taster below but live it's even better!

The Boss says:

Spirit - Live Harpo's
Detroit, MI. 1984
WLLZ-FM Source @320

Setlist:
01. Intro – Veruska (5:13)
02. Mr. Skin (3:56)
03. Black Satin Night (4:19)
04. 1984 (4:51)
05. Nature’s Way (4:10)
06. Like a Rolling Stone (6:43)
07. Animal Zoo (3:30)
08. Don’t Call It Love (5:06)
09. Run To Your Lover (5:28)
10. Dark Eyed Woman (5:23)
11. Fresh Garbage (6:08)
12. I Got a Line on You (4:46)
13. Walking In Detroit (5:34)
14. Sister Tell Me (4:00)
15. All Along the Watchtower (10:30)

SPIRIT- HARPOS, DETROIT 1984 - VOODOO WAGON





Enjoy!

I know I did!

I Got a Line on You! 1984

SPIRIT of 1984 The THIRTEENTH DREAM - FRESH GARBAGE

Thanks Boss!

4 comments:

Scottish Folkie said...

Another wonderful band I discovered in my youth.
Strange, you always kind of think that you've discovered "the best music", then something else really cool comes along....

Andy Swapp said...

Oh indeed that's true Scottish Folkie. I do tend to be terribly loyal though and still listen avidly to Love, Captain Beefheart and The Doors . . . . This Spirit session is a treat mind and I do tend to forget sometimes, bands like these and Manassas, Santana etc. . . .then something inevitably pops back into view! . . . all that sixties stuff as well as those bands coming up now, from Emily Barker, your fellow Scot the redoubtable Amy MacDonald, Wet Leg and the like. Keep the faith my friend and thanks as always for dropping by!

Jon said...

I remember seeing Randy California playing at the Penny farthing club in Oxford. Part of the Restless tour 1985, no Ed Cassidy. Randy's solo tour.

Andy Swapp said...

Thanks for the comment Jon. Appreciated and I will acknowledge in the text. My memory of that night was somewhat hazy (ahem)
So thanks for dropping by and commenting
You are SO welcome!