portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

‘I want to blow minds’: Kurt Vile - THE GUARDIAN

 Couple of articles sent to me by my son . . . . . . . . . . . .


Vile live in London in 2018.Photograph: Antonio Olmos/The Observer

 . .

The one-time carefree Philly stoner has come out of lockdown a changed man – with huge ambitions for his most candid record yet. He reveals how Covid triggered his ‘homecoming’ renaissance

“People said I had just butchered that song, that John was rolling in his grave.” Vile gives a meek laugh, leaning back so far in his chair he almost disappears. “I felt like I let John Prine down. I spiralled.” 

Vile is talking about the time, back in November 2020, when Seth Meyers asked him to perform John Prine’s Speed of the Sound of Loneliness on his talkshow. It would be the first time anyone had performed live on the show in eight months, owing to the pandemic, and Vile relished the challenge. Vile is a Prine devotee, as is Meyers, and it would also serve as a tribute: Prine had died of Covid seven months earlier.  . . . . . 

Kurt Vile - Lockdown, Covid, Beating Anxiety etc - THE GUARDIAN

Kurt and John 'How Lucky' . . . . . 

 . . . . it is worth remembering John liked and encouraged new younger artists and always offered support  . . . . . . oh and he especially liked Kurt Vile . . . . 


that'll do fer me

No comments: