portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, March 26, 2021

The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic? Moulin Rouge Nightclub 1965

THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL

The Lovin' Spoonful perform "Do You Believe In Magic" and "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" from the film, The Big T.N.T. Show, (1965) Directed by Larry Peerce. The song "Do You Believe In Magic" was composed by John Sebastian, and the song "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" was composed by Steve Boone and John Sebastian. Filmed before a live audience at the then Moulin Rouge nightclub, Hollywood, California, U.S.A.




I have mentioned The Lovin' Spoonful many times before and their innocent good time music I claimed for my own as a youngster (14) after my dear older brother Steve was listening to The Beatles and Bob Dylan (well admittedly both of them wore off on me of course) and needed something/somebody who was my own and I loved the zany, wacky, exotic, exuberance of The Lovin' Spoonful especially 'Hums' (still a favourite album) and this first song especially at the time. As a youngster this was what I wanted to happen with my life . . . . . . . . Then I saw the Doors at the Roundhouse in London and something happened! But that's another story!!! 
Check the video here I love the fluffed intro and them starting again . . . . . .good old Zal! (Although now no longer with us and he had his career severely curtailed by being forced into snitching on his pals or face serious jail time for dope and no one likes a grass. The honour amongst thieves schtick means you are as good as dead but Zal was certainly pressured) . . . . . for anther time perhaps . . . here the signs of Spring and the sheer joie de vivre of their sound is a harbinger of better times to come

Good Day Sunshine we can but hope for a Summer in The City! 




No comments: